tl;dr think of something to measure, then try and improve it
I met someone recently who tries to measure the current state of a situation before trying to improve it.
It is a great approach in my opinion. It allows you to determine what to work on, what the success scenario should look like, and wether your efforts have improved the situation or done the opposite.
We get a lot of support emails.
- How many support emails do we get every day?
- How long does it take to process the support emails?
The answers to these questions help determine the success scenario.
- Let's reduce the number of support emails we get by 10% per day
- Let's reduce the time it takes to process support emails by 10mins per day.
Think of solutions
Reduce the number of support emails
Analyize the existing support emails. Are there patterns that jump out that we can automate away.
- Perhaps better documentation.
- Perhaps we need to create a form that collects data from a user, instead of a back and forth email chain.
- Perhaps we just need to show some information on their account page.
Reduce processing time
- Can we auto reply with canned responses based on analysing the content of a support email.
- If we are not 100% sure, select some canned responses for a human to pick from.
I think this is a great little framework for approaching problems.